Thursday, April 21, 2022

The Seven Steps for Interview Success Page 18

Question #8: "What Will Your Former Employers (or Teachers, References...) Says About You?"

The interviewer wants to know about your adaptive skills. Are you easy to get along with? Are you a good worker? As you know, many employers check your references before they hire you, so be sure your response matches well with what a former employer or other reference says about you. See Step 5 for more advice on negotiating this problem question.

If you failed in a job, telling the truth is often the best policy. Tell it like it was, but do not be too critical of your old boss. If you do, it will make you sound like a person who blames others and does not accept responsibility. If you were partly at fault, admit it, but quickly take the opportunity to say what you learned from the experience.

Sample Answer

"My three former employers will all say I work hard, am very reliable, and am loyal. The reason I left my previous job, however is the result of what I can only call a personality conflict. While there, I received several promotions, and as my authority increased, there were more conflict with my boss. Our styles were just not the same. I had no idea the problem was so serious because I was so involved in my work. I have since learned to pay more attention to interpersonal matters. You can call and get a positive reference, but I though it only fair to tell you. I still respect my ex-boss and am grateful for the experience I gained at that job."

This response could be strengthened by elaborating on the experience gained, particularly any skills learned on the job.

Question #9: "Why Are You Looking for This Sort of Position and Why Here?"

The employer wants to make sure you are not the sot of person who is just looking for any job, anywhere. People have a good reason to work in a particular job or for a particular organization are seen as more committed and more invested.

In responding to this question, mention your motivations for selecting this career, the special skills you have that the position requires, and any special training or credentials you have which relate to the position. If you have reasons for selecting this organization specifically, be prepared to explain them. Use the research techniques from Step 3 to become as informed as possible.

Sample Answer

An experienced manager could use this type of response, which also uses the Prove-It Technique nicely:

"I've spent a lot of time considering various careers, and I think that this is the best area for me. This career requires many of my strongest skills, such as my ability to analyze and solve problems. For example, in a previous job, I created a plan that resulted in reducing customer returns of leased equipment by 15 percent. The result was an increase in retained leases of more than $250,000 a year for a plan that cost about $100 to implement. This particular organization seems to be the type that would let me use similar problem-solving skills. It is well-run, growing rapidly, and open to new ideas. Your sales went up 30 percent last year, and you are getting ready to introduce several major new products. If I work hard, I feel I would have the opportunity to stay with the business as it grows and grow with it."

< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 >

0 comments:

Post a Comment