Thursday, March 31, 2022

The Seven Steps for Interview Success Page 5

Answer the real question by presenting your related skills. An effective response to any interview question should answer by presenting your ability to do the job well.

The following example shows the Three-Step Process at work:

Question: "We were looking for someone with more experience in this field than you seem to have. Why should we consider you over others with better credentials?"

Step 1: Understand What Is Really being Asked

This question is often asked in a less direct way, but it is a frequent concern of employers. Just remember that employers often hire people who present themselves well in an interview over those with better credentials. Your best shot is to emphasize whatever personal strengths you have that can help you compete with a more experienced worker - for example, that you are a hard worker, that you learn quickly, or that you have skills from other activities that can transfer to this job.

Step 2: Answer the Question Briefly in a Non-damaging Way

The following response answers the questions without hurting the person's chances of getting the job:

"I 'm sure there are people who have more years of experience or better credentials. I do, however, have four years of combined training and hands-on experience using the latest methods and techniques. Because my training is recent, I am open to new ideas and I'm used to working hard and learning quickly."

Step 3: Answer the Real Question by Presenting Your Related Skills

You now have an opportunity to provide additional details that emphasize key skills needed for the job:

"I held down a full-time job and family responsibilities while going to school. I had an excellent attendance record both at work and school, missing only one day in two years. I also received two merit increases in salary, and my grades were in the top 25 percent of my class. In order to do all this, I had to learn to organize my time and set priorities. With my education complete, I can now turn my full attention to this job. I am willing to work harder than the next person because I have the desire to keep learning and to do an outstanding job."

< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 >

0 comments:

Post a Comment