Thursday, April 21, 2022

The Seven Steps for Interview Success Page 19

Question #10: "Why Don't You Tell Me About Your Personal Situation?"

A good interviewer will rarely ask this question so directly. More often, interviewers use casual and friendly conversation to get the information they want. In most cases, the interviewer is digging for anything that would indicate you are unstable or undependable. Other issues may be of concern to an employer as well, often based on assumptions the interviewer has about people with certain characteristics. These beliefs are often irrelevant, and some may seem to be in bad taste or even illegal (see Step 5 for more on this issue). But if the employer wonders whether you can be depended upon, dealing with these doubts is in your own best interest. In responding to a question about your personal situation, always be friendly and positive.

Examples of Appropriate Answers

The following responses address the personal issues that employers are most concerned about.

Young children at home:

        "I have two children, both in school. Child care is no problem because they stay with a good friend."

Single head of household:

        "I'm not married and have two children at home. It is very important to me to have a steady income, so child care is no problem."

Young and single:

        "I'm not married, and if I should marry, that would not change my plans for a full-time career. For now, I can devote my full attention to my career."

Just moved here:

        "I've decided to settle here permanently. I've rented an apartment, and I am looking into buying a house."

Relative, upbringing:

        "I am one of three children. Both of my parents still live within an hour's flight from here, and I see them several times a year."

Leisure time:

        "My time is family-centered when I'm not working. I'm also active in several community organizations."

All of these responses could be expanded on, but they should give you an idea of the types of approaches you can take with your own answers. The message you want to give is that your personal situation will not hurt your ability to work and could even help it.

< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 >

0 comments:

Post a Comment