Thursday, April 14, 2022

The Seven Steps for Interview Success Page 13

Honesty Is Always the Best Policy

Almost all career counselors encourage job seekers to be positive about themselves. But they would also caution you to avoid taking credit for something you do not deserve, claiming to have experience you do not have, or bragging excessively about your performance. Just be sure to talk up your achievements, awards, and promotion without misrepresenting yourself.

Question #2: "Why Should I Hire You?"

Though this question is rarely asked so directly, it is the question behind every other question that is asked. It has no hidden meaning, and it is the most important question for you to answer.

So why should employers hire you? The best response to this question provides advantages to employers. A good response gives proof that you can help them make more money by improving efficiency, reduce costs, increasing sales, or solving problems (by coming to work on time, improving customer service, managing operations, or bringing a variety of other skills to the job).

Sample Answer

A person with considerable prior experience might offer this response:

"You should hire me because I have a proven track record. I have more than 15 years of education and experience related to this position. More than six of those years have been in management positions similar to this one. In my last position, I was promoted three times in the six years I was there. Most recently I was responsible for supervising a staff of 15 and a warehousing operation that processed over 30 million dollars' worth of materials a year. In the last two years, I managed a 40 percent increase in volume processed with only a 6 percent increase in expense. I am hardworking and have earned a reputation as a dependable and creative problem solver. I'm eager to apply my experience to new challenges, but I am also willing to ask questions and accepted advice from others. This will help me take advantage of what has already been accomplish her."

This response emphasizes the Prove-It Technique from Step 1 by including specific numbers to support each accomplishment. Although the applicant presented her skills and experience in a confident way, she avoided a know-it-all attitude by being open to others' suggestions.

Completing the short worksheet that follows will help you answer this question, through it will be much easier if you have completed the activities in Step 2. 

Click here to complete the worksheet

< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 >

0 comments:

Post a Comment