Friday, April 22, 2022

The Seven Steps for Interview Success Page 24

Military Experience

Employers who have not had military experience themselves often have misconception about those who have. Some of the stereotypes of military people can work in your favor, however. Here are some suggestions for making the most of your military experience:

  • Employers want people who can get along with others. Some people assume military personnel are overly aggressive. You can easily handle this stereotype by being friendly or emphasizing community service.

  • Employers need people who work well in teams and solve problems. The truth is that military has been training with team cooperation and creative problem solving for years. Try to offer a few examples of your teamwork and problem-solving skills in action.

  • Employers may wonder why you left or assume that you do not have "civilian" skills. Each year more than 300,000 people leave the military. In most cases, ex-military people have benefited from excellent and expensive training, are more educated than the average person their age, and have had far more management experience than the average job seeker. These are good points to emphasize.

To reinforce your abilities as a civilian worker, avoid wearing military dress and accessories and using any military jargon. Be sure to emphasize those qualities that are important to all employers, such as discipline, responsibility, and dependability.

The Turtling Technique

Like a turtle on its back, a problem is a problem only if you leave it that way. By turning it over ("turtling" it), you can turn a perceived disadvantage into an advantage. Take a look at these examples:

  • Too old: "I am a very stable worker requiring very little training. I have been dependable all my life, and I am at a point in my career where I do not plan on changing jobs. I still have 10 years of working until I plan on retiring. How long has the average young person stayed here?"

  • Too young: "I do not have any bad work habits to break, so I can be quickly trained to do things the way you want. I plan on working hard to get established. I will also work for less money than a more experienced worker."

< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 >

0 comments:

Post a Comment