Thursday, April 21, 2022

The Seven Steps for Interview Success Page 16

Question #6: "How Does Your Previous Experience Relate to the Jobs We Have Here?"

This is another direct question that requires a direct response. It requires you to overcome any weaknesses your background might present when you are compared to other job seekers. here are some typical stumbling blocks:

  • You are just out of school and have limited experience in this career.

  • This is your first job, or you have not worked for a period of time.

  • Your prior work experience is not a match for the tasks required in this job.

  • You have had several jobs, but no clear career direction.
  • You do not have the education or other credentials many other applicants might have.
If it is obvious that other job seekers might have more education, more years of experience, or whatever qualifications you lack, acknowledge that, and then counter it with your own strengths.

Quick Tip

If you have held various short-term jobs, try to emphasize your range of skills and desire for stability. Say something like, "The variety of my experiences is an asset because I have learned so many things I can now apply to this position. Now I am looking for a career where I can settle in, work hard, and move up."

Sample Answer

"As you know, I have just completed an intensive program in the area of information technology. My educational experience was very thorough, and I have more than 300 hours of interactive computer time as part of my coursework. In addition, I have more than three years of work experience in a variety of business settings, including managing a small business during the absence of the owner. I learned to handle money there and do a variety of basic accounting tasks. I also inventoried and organized products worth over six hundred thousand dollars. These experiences helped me understand the importance of good information technology systems in a business setting. Although I am a recent graduate, my previous business experience allows me to understand how to use what I have learned in practical and effective ways. Because I am new to this career, I plan to work harder and will spend extra time as needed to meet any deadlines."

This response emphasizes transferable skills (knowledge of accounting procedures) and adaptive skills (meeting deadlines and working hard). This emphasis is necessary to counter a lack of previous work experience or job-related skills.

< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 >

0 comments:

Post a Comment