Friday, May 20, 2022

Winning Answers to 500 Interview Questions - Page 7

13. What are three things your former manager would like you to improve on?

Why this question is being asked: The interviewer is looking for you to be candid and share professional aspects about yourself that may not be your strong suits.

Strategy: Focus on aspects of yourself that may have been places for improvement earlier in your career. Show how you have overcome those weaknesses and where you are today.

Sample answer: The supervisor in my first job had a difficult personality so I have a good sense of how to answer this one.

"He has poor communication skills." He felt that I could not communicate well and should not speak on the phone. Although I felt this was partly because I am naturally quieter when acclimating to a situation, I did take steps to improve my communication abilities. I've been attending toastmaster meetings for the last 5 years. This has improved my public speaking abilities greatly and speaking publicly is a major part of what I do.

"He has limited technical know-how." At the time of I began that job, I wasn't that experienced in using a computer so it was a sharp learning curve for me. Once I became comfortable in using technology, I really took to it. Now, I enjoy using social media, blogging, podcasting and such.

"He is not a leader." I can understand why my first boss had this initial perception of me. As I mentioned, in my first role, I was quieter and intimidated to speak out too much. I just focused on the work. As I've grown as a professional, so have my leadership abilities. Even in that job, I helped to train new employees and was left in charge of overseeing the office in the absence of a supervisor. As I've grown in my career, I have often taken on the role of team leader.

14. Tell me about an accomplishment you are most proud of.

Why this question is being asked: By learning about what you've accomplished in the past, the interviewer has a better sense of what you may accomplish in the future.

Strategy: Paint a picture with your words of an accomplishment that would be relevant to the position for which you are applying.

Sample answer: I was called upon to do a job meant for two people. I was able not only to meet the demands of both positions, but to really excel. As the company acquired various new businesses, the CEO was looking for someone who already had experience in account management to lead a new team. I was asked to do so while maintaining my old position as well. I would spend two and a half days at each site per week. Through maximizing resources, especially leaning on technology as a communication tool, I was able to stay on top of both roles and exceed expectations.

0 comments:

Post a Comment