Friday, June 3, 2022

Winning Answer to 500 Interview Questions - Page 23

57. What have you learned from your mistakes?

Why this question is being asked: You are bound to make mistakes on the job and the interviewer would like to know how you learn from them.

Strategy: Admit to a mistake; explain what you learned and how you are now a better worker for it.

Sample answer: Earlier in my career, when I would get overwhelmed with work, I would try to work as quickly as possible to keep up. This led to a mistake on a spreadsheet as I left out some essential data and it was submitted as is. When it became clear that it was a flawed report, I realized that it is better to take my time and do the job right as opposed to rushing.

58. Give an example of a time when you made a mistake because you did not listen well to what someone had to say.

Why this question is being asked: You are bound to make mistakes on the job and the interviewer would like to know how you learn from them.

Strategy: Admit to a mistake; explain what you learned and how you are now a better worker for it.

Sample answer: I was asked to run a comparison of sales month to month and create corresponding charts and graphs for a presentation. I jumped into it with gusto. I was excited to show it to my boss until he told me that he only wanted me to run the comparison for the last 3 months, not for the whole year. Unfortunately, I had wasted company time by putting in extra information and not working on something else. I learned to pay more attention next time and to confirm what my supervisor wants before I begin, if it is not clear what is expected.

59. Describe times when you were not satisfied or pleased with your performance. What did you do about it?

Why this question is being asked: The interviewer wants to know how seriously you take your work and how you hold yourself accountable.

Strategy: Provide an example relevant to the job you are applying for. Explain the work that you did, why you weren't satisfied, what you learned and how you improved.

Sample answer: I was asked to run a competitor analysis. I examined all of the important metrics. My supervisor was satisfied by the report and I was told that it was helpful for making investment decisions. As I learned additional strategies for running a report like this, I became embarrassed at the quality of my work. I realized that I should have included competitors in related markets and not just direct competition. I learned to lean on senior analysts to provide their feedback before I submit a final report.

0 comments:

Post a Comment